How to track scroll depth via GTM
Create an event after scrolling ⅔ of your page to trigger an action
What does it do?
In a few simple steps, you can configure your User.com app to register scrolling any percentage of a page you want. After this step, you'll have the option of using the module, "Event Trigger", to take advantage of measuring scroll depth. You can even set it up to fire on a pixel-specific place on your site.
Before you start
You need to have GTM implemented properly on your site. Find out how in here.
How to use it
You can create & configure the trigger in your GTM Workspace linked with your website.
1. Open your GTM Workspace connected to your website.
2. Go to Tags and click the red button New.
3. Choose Tag Type: Custom HTML, name it and input the code below. This script will let User.com register this event each time it occurs. It should look similar to the screenshot below:
4. At the bottom of the window, open Advanced Settings and choose the User.com implementation tag to fire before this tag. This way you'll make sure you’re firing tags in the right order.
5. Next, scroll down Tag Configuration and create a new trigger to fire this tag. Choose, Scroll Depth. Now, check Vertical Scroll Depths in order to track the vertical scroll. In Percentages, let’s input "66", but you can choose any value you’d like.
6. In This trigger fires on, you can select "All Pages" or paste URLs of specific pages/domains you'd like this tag to fire on.
7. Click "Save" to register your new tag and run Preview to test it out in the GTM main window.
8. Let’s try out this tag. It should look like what's in this video below:
Your visitor profile in the section, "People", should look like this:
9. Now you can click Submit in GTM to publish it on your website.
That's it! Now you have a depth scroll tracking event in your User.com app.