What does it do?
By default, this module sends all user data to a specific URL, such as 3rd party applications. Optionally, you can add more information you want to send, in addition to user data, by including it in the field Extra data (JSON). If you have many user attributes, an API call might be too long for Google Analytics. If so, you can exclude user data by clicking on the checkbox at the end of API call form.
Before you start
To determine whether our API Call module has been configured properly, a third party service will be useful. In this article we'll use requestbin.net.
This service allows you to create a link where your requests can be sent.
Step by step guide
In order to test your API call, follow the steps below:
1. Go to requestbin.net.
2. Click the "Create a RequestBin" button.
3. Copy URL from the top of the site. (Do not close this tab.)
4. Create a simple automation like Event Trigger = > API Call:
- in Event Trigger form, choose one of your events.
- in API call form paste the previously copied URL.
5. Save and enable the automation.
6. Trigger the automation by either:
A: using our events API endpoint, or
B: entering the website where your User.com widget is installed, open console and trigger an event by calling userengage ('events.your_chosen_event').
7. Refresh the tab from which you copied the requestbin.net URL.
If your automation ran and the API call was configured properly, you should see the request with all its data.